Perficient is committed to transforming how the world’s leading healthcare organizations connect with customers and grow their businesses. Phil Nabors, a lead business consultant with decades of experience in IT, is accomplishing just that for our clients. We discussed how his team’s current work, implementing an Amazon Web Services (AWS) analytics and data lake solution, is revolutionizing the way our client views their data and achieves their goals. I loved hearing about his passion for finding out-of-the-box solutions for complex problems, and I’m sure you will too.
Thank you for joining me today, Phil, I’d love to kick off with hearing more about your role. What does a typical day in this role look like, and how is this work enabling clients to achieve their goals?
I am often asked to describe my job and what I do. It’s a question that I’ve struggled to answer briefly. I’ve found that my biggest strength is to function like a Swiss army knife for strategic initiatives for a wide variety of healthcare clients, including healthcare plans, providers, and research organizations. Ultimately, I help business clients define, design, coordinate, and deliver effective and efficient solutions (technical or procedural) that impact their most pressing challenges and influence their key performance indicators (KPIs).
Currently, we’re driving an initiative to implement an Amazon Web Services (AWS) analytics and data lake solution to provide our client with a cloud solution built for common publish model (CPM). This will allow the client to quickly access and analyze terabytes of contract, claims, invoiced, and financial transaction data collected, ingested, curated, and published from multiple operational systems.
With the use of powerful AWS tools: S3, Glue, Redshift, and connecting to the industry leading Cognos BI tool, our client has unprecedented access to their data to answer their most pressing analytical questions and drive their current and anticipated future business.
My typical day’s activities depends upon the role in which I’m filling for the specific client and phase of the project. They can include the following:
- Leading a team of analysts in understanding client business requirements – truly knowing the client’s intent and how we will benefit them upon implementation
- Facilitating discussions with business, systems, and data architect subject matter experts to expand business requirements, drill into original source systems data, guide design of pipelines into AWS data lake, and assess considerations impacting the CPM design
- Developing, evaluating, executing, and documenting functional test cases against data lake pipeline, published Redshift database, or Cognos visualization
- Communicating to client executives and senior project leadership about the progress, risks, and dependencies that must be cleared in order for multiple teams to define, design, and execute the various technical solutions
LEARN MORE: AWS Data Lakehouse Solutions
How have your passions and interests led you to your current position and how are they incorporated into your daily work?
Prior to joining Perficient, I worked as an independent consultant performing design and data analysis for a prominent healthcare solution provider. This experience ignited my fuel for finding unique and out-of-the box solutions to complex business problems. Since then, I’ve teamed up with colleagues to address business challenges.
Here are a few ways we’ve approached this:
- Responding to the ground-breaking AHA legislation impacting healthcare payer and providers alike
- Creating a single-solution call center application supporting multiple major healthcare payer organizations, impacting millions of subscribers and members
- Creating an integrated data warehouse solution to support a major university and cancer hospital to meet research demands and government regulations
- Creating a new actuarial pricing rating solution for a large healthcare payer
Improve Margins, Cut Costs, and Build Business Resilience
Download our guide and explore measurable outcomes we've helped drive across IT, marketing, operations, and finance functions.
What excites and motivates you in your daily work?
The things that excite me most about the many roles I’ve had with Perficient are the following:
- The diversity of experiences
- Opportunities to positively impact our healthcare clients
- The ability to utilize my strength of understanding business processes and translating them into technical solutions using the most effective suite of solutions.
At Perficient, I’ve benefited greatly by working alongside some of the most dedicated, knowledgeable, and influential industry leaders and technical solution colleagues that I’ve encountered throughout my decades-long career in information technology.
What do diversity and inclusion mean to you, and why are they important to our culture at Perficient?
As an African American colleague here at Perficient, I’m compelled to explore the many facets of employment at Perficient and the different offerings provided to those seeking IT consulting as their career, especially the many bright minds and future thought leaders graduating from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) or community colleges, which are commonly overlooked by major IT organizations. I’m encouraged by Perficient’s expansion to employ and drive solutions in local communities and from countries outside of the US as we build our global consultancy.
EXPLORE NOW: Perficient Bright Paths Program
Healthcare Leaders Turn to Us
Our healthcare practice is comprised of experts who understand the unique challenges facing the industry. The 10 largest health systems and 10 largest health insurers in the U.S. have counted on us to support their end-to-end digital success. Modern Healthcare has also recognized us as the fourth largest healthcare IT consulting firm.
We bring pragmatic, strategically-grounded know-how to our clients’ initiatives. And our work gets attention – not only by industry groups that recognize and award our work but also by top technology partners that know our teams will reliably deliver complex, game-changing implementations. Most importantly, our clients demonstrate their trust in us by partnering with us again and again. We are incredibly proud of our 90% repeat business rate because it represents the trust and collaborative culture that we work so hard to build every day within our teams and with every client.
With more than 20 years of experience in the healthcare industry, Perficient is a trusted, end-to-end, global digital consultancy.
It’s no secret our success is because of our people. No matter the technology or time zone, our colleagues are committed to delivering innovative, end-to-end digital solutions for the world’s biggest brands, and we bring a collaborative spirit to every interaction. We’re always seeking the best and brightest to work with us. Join our team and experience a culture that challenges, champions, and celebrates our people.
Visit our Careers page to see career opportunities and more!