Understanding the customer journey – and your internal team’s journey – is critical in B2B industries like manufacturing and distribution. Responsible for the daily operations of the digital business, the eCommerce admin spends most of his day in the back end of the commerce system. He is managing website content and information, managing configuration and parameters, and acting as a liaison between the digital commerce site and the rest of the organization.
He may also be making suggestions for improvements and working with both internal and external technical teams to improve the functionality of the site. He is most concerned with the overall success of the site, as well as transactions and conversions.
An Intuitive eCommerce Solution
As the manager of the eCommerce site, he is very involved in the selection of the commerce technology. He’s often responsible for the day-to-day operations of the site, and wants the ability to quickly make and adjust things easily. When choosing a system, he is not only concerned with its ability to provide an exceptional eCommerce experience, but also how intuitive the program is so he can streamline his processes.
Communication is Key
An eCommerce admin’s work is never done. Things break, glitches happen, and it’s his job to figure out how to fix them. He needs a way to communicate with others in his organization as well as external resources that he relies on to make the site work. He wants to avoid crashing web pages and broken links, and need to be able to touch base with his team and to do so.
The Ability to Evolve
The eCommerce admin is always looking for ways to improve the eCommerce experience he’s providing. He is expected to always align the eCommerce experience with the business needs, and thus he needs the technology to continue to evolve site capabilities to provide customers with the experience they want and need. 76% of customers say the most important factor in a website’s design is “the website makes it easy for me to find what I want”, and the eCommerce admin wants to ensure the site experience is as intuitive and user-friendly as possible.
He wants the ability to add pages or make changes without relying on an IT professional to do it. He is very involved in not only the success, but also the continual monitoring of the experience that the platform is providing.
Interacting with the eCommerce Admin
What He Does
- Has responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the eCommerce sites he manages
- Adds content and information to the site to improve the overall experience and success of the site
- Works with the product teams to define and manage product information and make sure images are included
- Serves as the commerce liaison between internal and external resources to increase sales on the site
What He Needs:
- An easy and efficient way to manage the day-to-day changes on the site
- Tools that make his job easier and give him the means to be successful
- A way to communicate with others in his organization as well as the external resources he relies on to make the site work
- The ability to grow the commerce business and convert more business online to support his business
Where You’ll Reach Him
He spends the majority of his day working from his desk in the backend administrator console of the commerce site he manages.
What You Can Provide to Make His Job Easier
- An eCommerce solution that provides him with the tools he needs to manage the day-to-day changes that occur on your sites
- A CMS that makes it easy for him to make experience changes for ongoing changes
- A solution that makes it easy for him to manage content and information
To learn more about the other roles involved in the B2B buying process and how you can improve their experience, check out our guide The People of the Manufacturing and Distribution Buyer Journey.