What is Code Kata?
Code kata is a concept that proposes to hone programmer’s skill by doing small problems many times trying to improve the code at each iteration.
Code Kata Plus?
But as a programmer, we are not programming in a vacuum. We use tools, commands, IDE etc. Start paying attention to these things during your kata sessions:
- How many key strokes or mouse clicks does it take to:
- Locate a compilation error
- Reformat your code
- Run a test
- Refactor a piece of code
- Trace a function
- Pull up a shell in the current directory
- Commit to version control
- Locate mismatch parentheses
- Switch between test code and production code
- Auto complete with code snippets
- Arrange windows in the right position and size
- What’s the right color theme, font and font size for your eyes?
Don’t just improving yourself, improve you tools, it’s a more holistic approach. If you are not constantly programming your programing environment you are not taking full advantage of your own skill. Try to improve a few things, you’ll see the difference in your next iteration.