Why do we need a Kindness Campaign now in 2020?
2020 has been a challenging year for all of mankind, with a persistent pandemic coupled with natural calamities, the ride has been really rough. The upside to that is there has been lot of learnings in all fronts. Humanity, Courage, Selflessness, Sacrifice, Kindness, Conscious well-being of self and fellow beings, Judicious usage of available resources and more so have become the need of the hour.
Perficient being a leader when it comes to giving back to the community, amongst its many such initiatives and as a one more feather in the cap, enabled the Make a December Difference – A Campaign of Kindness.
What’s new in it?
Through the December Difference Campaign, Perficient added donation $$$ to each & every employee’s paycheck globally. Each of the 4500+ employees can pay forward the extra amount to a cause of their choice in the month of December.
Thought leaders of Perficient Chennai & Bangalore visioned to create a larger impact for the beneficiary than a very short-term impact and the tag line was “Let the impact be long term covering maximum beneficiaries “. Colleagues pooled their resources together, many of them matched or exceeded Perficient contribution and the total funds available was almost doubled by that.
Colleagues formed teams, chose their favourite charitable cause, pooled the money and executed with passion & kindness. Several long impacting donations were made. More than 300 beneficiaries were directly benefited and the Mother of All Donations was a Dialysis unit to a Rotary Dialysis Centre, which would be providing lifesaving treatment for 36000 very poor needy patients for up to 10 years, which would otherwise be very dear to the beneficiary.
Some more unique items that were qualified based on the tagline were:
- Livestock for livelihood
- Laptops to government educational institution
- Sewing machines for livelihood
- Wheel-chairs for physically challenged
- Cataract Operation sponsorship
Our Contributions as Groups and Individuals:
- India’s demand for dialysis is growing at a rate of 31 percent, compared to 6 percent in the US and 8 percent in the rest of the world. This dialysis machine would be providing lifesaving treatment for about 3600 patients in a year and has a life span of 10 years benefitting 36000 poor patients totally Free of Cost. Perficienites took pride in donating INR 700,000/- towards the cost of procuring and setting up the dialysis unit at Rotary Club Operated Free Dialysis Center.
- Quality livestock rearing is a profitable occupation in India. The shepherd gets a regular monetary income from the livestock. Perficient Chennai colleague went to his village personally to buy and donate quality livestock to a needy. The income is sure to tide him over a little bit of the financial crunches he had to face due to the pandemic and the rains.
- A steel cupboard is still a dream to many villagers and when the rains ruin their clothes and possessions, it’s a hard hit on them and they have to restart building their basic necessities. Perficienites took time and effort to buy the best quality items and travelled miles to deliver their contributions safely in the hands of the needy.
- Perficienites didn’t just leave donating money to the orphanages, old age homes, physically challenged people homes, sentenced people’s children’s homes, but they went in person to serve, feed them and share joyful moments with the inmates.
- This pandemic has made education fee unaffordable to many small parents. They are still rebooting their monthly earning after the relaxation of the restrictions. One of our colleagues sponsored education fee to a needy child.
- When normal education fee has become unaffordable, special therapy classes have to wait for their chance in the budget priority list. A 2-member group decided that a special child should not wait and sponsored the classes to this special child.
- When humans are being affected so much in this pandemic, where do the stray animals stand? Animal rescue homes need consumables to feed and treat the rescued animals. A 2-member group sponsored treatment and feeding of animals at non-beneficiary animal rescue homes.
- Medical emergencies are a nightmare anytime. One of our colleagues contributed towards the medical treatment of an 8-year-old and gave a breather to her parents.
The list goes on and on….leading us to think that if only we set our mind to help, the options are a zillion.
As the saying goes, “What goes around, comes around” Perficient has added “When it comes around, lets gear it up to reach greater heights, wider branches, deeper roots”. Thanks Perficient for this great initiative and hope the momentum stays strong spreading kindness wide and long!
Loka Samastha Sukino Bhavanthu! meaning May all beings be happy and free!
Perficient are big believers in giving back to the communities in which we live and work, and we have the opportunity to empower our colleagues to pay it forward and spread some much-needed joy. It’s our hope that these single acts of giving and gratitude leave individual marks on the communities in which we live and work. Together, we have an opportunity to make a global impact.
Learn more about the “Make a December Difference” campaign of kindness
Follow our “Make a December Difference” story at Life at Perficient and connect with us on LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram. Visit our Careers page to see career opportunities and more!
Well written. Such a gesture by Perficient.
Well said Gayathri.. Giving a small contribution makes a big difference to many… We are sure that through this December difference each and every one of us will experience life’ deepest joy… Thanks to Perficient!!