This is the first in our series on IBM Cloud Paks.
According to a study by McKinsey & Company, IT teams are migrating the simplest workloads to the cloud, but about 80% of workloads are still on-premises. This is because the basic cloud model does not address transformation complexities like skills gaps, compliance, integration issues, or vendor lock-in.
Application modernization is a growing area of focus for enterprises. If you’re considering this path to cloud adoption, this guide explores considerations for the best approach – cloud native or legacy migration – and more.
IBM Cloud Paks are enterprise-ready containerized software solutions that provide an open, faster, and more secure way to move core business applications to any cloud. Each IBM Cloud Pak includes containerized IBM middleware and software services for development and management, on top of a common integration layer. This reduces development time and operational expenses. IBM Cloud Paks run wherever Red Hat OpenShift runs and are optimized for productivity and performance.
IBM Cloud Pak features
- Portable: Cloud Paks run on-premises, on public clouds, or in an integrated system
- Open and secure: Up-to-date software provides full-stack support from hardware to applications
- Consumable: Cloud Paks are pre-integrated to deliver use cases (such as application deployment and process automation), and you pay only for what you use
Five types of IBM Cloud Paks
- IBM Cloud Pak for Applications: Accelerate the modernization and building of cloud-native apps with built-in developer tools and processes, including support for microservices functions and serverless computing.
- IBM Cloud Pak for Automation: Facilitate deployment on your choice of cloud where Kubernetes is supported, with low-code tools and near-real-time performance visibility. You can migrate your automation runtimes without application changes or data migration, and leverage automation at-scale without vendor lock-in.
- IBM Cloud Pak for Data: Unify and simplify the collection, organization, and analysis of data. Cloud Pak for Data is extensible and customizable to client data and AI landscapes through an integrated catalog of IBM, open-source, and third-party microservices add-ons.
- IBM Cloud Pak for Integration: Support the speed, flexibility, security, and scale required for integration and digital transformation initiatives. Cloud Pak for Integration comes pre-integrated with a set of capabilities including API lifecycle, application, and data integration, messaging and events, high-speed transfer, and integration security.
- IBM Cloud Pak for Multi-cloud Management: Provide consistent visibility, automation, and governance across a range of hybrid, multi-cloud management capabilities such as event management, infrastructure management, multi-cluster management, edge management, and integration with existing tools and processes.
Visit our Cloud Pak resource page to learn more.