Software Asset Management (SAM)
Software asset management is a business practice that involves managing and optimizing the purchase, deployment, maintenance, utilization, and disposal of software applications within an organization.
The IT Leader's Guide to Multicloud Readiness
This guide provides practical key insights and important factors to consider to make informed decisions in your multicloud journey.
Download the Guide
SAM IN TERMS OF SERVICENOW
The ServiceNow Software Asset Management (SAM) application systematically tracks, evaluates and manages software licenses, compliance, and optimization. You can reclaim unused software rights, purchase new software rights, and manage allocations for entitlements. SAM is the visibility & control of software licenses and processes through their life cycle.
The software life cycle has – Request, Deploy, Reconcile, Service, Retire
- IT Asset Management is a Business Issue disguised as an IT problem!
- Stewardship of the IT asset across its life-cycle from procurement, to receiving, operation, maintenance to retirement and disposal
- Managing associated software license, warranty, lease, and maintenance contracts
- Track assets’ monetary value or incurred costs
- Know who is using it and/or how often it is being used
Add a software reclamation rule
add a reclamation rule to aggregate usage records and identify unused software. Reclamation rules aggregate usage over a time and specify a minimum number of hours the software must be used, or date last used, before being flagged for reclamation