Today, Amazon announced its release of chat functionality in Amazon Connect. Supported for both web and mobile, the latest feature extends Amazon’s cloud contact center omnichannel capabilities.
This feature allows your customers to start a chat with an agent or Amazon Lex bot, step away from it, and resume it up to 24 hours later. Here’s a quick rundown of what’s possible:
What’s Possible with Chat in Amazon Connect?
- There’s no need to switch between voice and chat user interfaces – you can use the same contact flows, queues, routing profiles, analytics and configurations as you did for voice.
- Amazon Lex chatbots built for voice are also supported within chat.
- If a chat initially handled by a chatbot needs to be handled by a human, Amazon Connect will take care of transferring the conversation history and any associated context, no coding required.
- Amazon Connect chat supports asynchronous messaging.
- Chats can ‘persist’ for up to 24 hours, meaning if an agent has to step away from a chat with a customer, the same chat including all the messaging history can be picked up by the same or another agent.
- Chats are also secure and encrypted.
- Following Amazon’s pay-as-you go model, you pay per chat session. No upfront payment required.
Check out our tutorial below on building a basic chat:
Check out our posts about Amazon Connect’s chat functionality:
- Amazon Connect Chat: Routing Profile Changes
- Amazon Connect Chat: Disconnect Flow Demystified
- What’s New with Streams API v1.4
- Amazon Connect Chat: Real-Time Metrics
If you’re interested, here is the official Introduction to Amazon Connect chat video
For more information about incorporating this latest feature into your contact center, please get in touch with us.