Bryan Cheung, CEO of Liferay, kicked off the Liferay Symposium 2017 keynote in Austin, TX. At a high level, the messaging was that Liferay has been listening to customers and transforming with the industry to modernize their products and stay relevant as digital transformation continues across all customers. During the past five years, customers have many common questions: What are you doing with cloud? How about the Internet of Things? What about continuous deployment? Bryan did a great job painting the picture as to how Liferay is listening and evolving with the industry.
With the user experience expectations higher than ever, over the past two years, Liferay has invested heavily in several key areas:
- Modularity. “Modularity makes apps easier to evolve and services easier to re-use.”
- APIs – APIs designed to evolve and Headless Usage.”
- Modernize frontend technologies and put UX first.
- Ready for Cloud Deployment.
Liferay’s vision for the platform evolution includes:
- Rich set of back-end services through evolvable APIs.
- Be able to build websites and through heterogeneous front ends.
- Cloud ready.
- Liferay will help assemble apps from pre-built services and build more usable, friendlier interfaces.
Some areas of ongoing investment and key features are:
- Web Content Management is currently being heavily invested in. WCM has been very portlet based in the past 10 years. Now, websites are developed completely different. Liferay is looking at at a full revamp of WCM.
- Forms are getting much attention.
- WebDeploy is Liferay’s new cloud offering to deploy the platform in seconds.
- In 2018 Liferay will be adding a digital commerce server to their portfolio.
This was a good overview of what is here today and on deck in the near future. Stay tuned for more news and announcements from the Liferay Symposium North American 2017.