The beginning of the holiday season also represents a time to look towards 2018 and the technology trends most pertinent for executives. Even though we continue to be in unprecedented growth around cloud and DevOps solutions, other areas are gaining steam and stand to dominate media attention in the years ahead.
One area to look for thought leadership is with research firm Gartner, who recently held one of their regional Symposiums recently in South Africa. Bringing together senior executives and CIOs, Gartner speakers held court and offered their insights for the year ahead. Some of the technology trends mentioned of importance for 2018 included:
- 4 billion things in use worldwide in 2017, up 3% from the previous year. The usage rate will hit 20.4 billion by 2020 with Internet of Things (IoT) devices serving both consumer and industrial needs.
- Public cloud is going to be the prime delivery model for 60% of security applications by 2018, especially with the notoriety of data breaches in recent months.
- SaaS deployments will account for 35% of supply chain management spending, further cementing the importance and need for DevOps. As organizations continue to prioritize DevOps in their innovation strategies, having the right DevOps toolchain solutions will matter more too.
- 58% of CEOs see growth as a priority. While growth is continuously a priority for organizations, digital transformation and its associated solutions including microservices, APIs, and business process will be key to revenue. In contrary to the past, leveraging simpler and smaller technology services ultimately brings organizations the ability to compete in any industry.
- Global video spending will hit $314 billion in 2017, an increase of 4.2% from the previous year. As video becomes a centerpiece for corporate storytelling, collaboration, and communications, having the right hardware and engagement processes will become more important. Furthermore, the popularity of video will also spark additional cloud spending.
Application modernization is a growing area of focus for enterprises. If you’re considering this path to cloud adoption, this guide explores considerations for the best approach – cloud native or legacy migration – and more.
With some of these trends in mind, now is the time to consider how to strategize for 2017. We’ll also be looking at research firm IDC’s FutureScape study later next month as they look at what will matter in 2018.
Work with Us
If you’re looking to get a head start, see how we can help by getting in touch with one of our specialists at firstname.lastname@example.org.