Last week Microsoft announced general availability of Azure IaaS virtual machine backup, previewed earlier this year.
Why use Azure Backup?
- Azure IaaS VM backup provides application consistent backup for Windows operating systems and file system consistency for Linux operating systems without the need to shut down virtual machines, making it enterprise ready solution.
- Azure Backup transfers snapshots taken on a VM to a secure, reliable Azure Backup vault and can restore the VM in a single click.
- Backups taken on virtual machines can be retained for long-term using industry standard GFS based retention policies.
How do I get started?
- Discover the machines that can be protected in the Azure Backup vault.
- Register the discovered virtual machines to Azure Backup vault.
- Protect the registered virtual machines by associating them with a policy defining backup schedule and how long you want to retain.
What features does Azure Backup provide?
- Improved data disk limit on backup virtual machines
- Support for virtual machine backup with 16 data disks in addition to the OS disk.
- This improved support comes with a more predictable backup time.
- Support for long-term retention
- Virtual machine backups can be retained for up to 99 years.
- Flexible and industry standard GFS schema provides powerful customization of retention choices for backup copies.
- Enhanced monitoring and reporting
- Downloadable summary report gives a snapshot of backup and restore operations on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Every backup job now includes the backup data size transferred value to track the storage consumption for a specific backup job.
- Export job functionality provides detailed information on jobs triggered in specified timeframes and can be customized to get job details per specified filters.
- Addition of powerful choices
- Offline VM backup: Ability to configure protection on an offline VM.
- Cancel job: Ability to cancel an in-progress backup or restore job.
- Built-in backup policy: Every backup vault created will come with a built-in backup policy to save few clicks in setting up backup at scale.
- Ability to restore the virtual machine to storage account of choice.
Check it out and start using Azure Backup today. Contact us at Perficient and one of our 28 certified Azure consultants can help guide your Azure implementation.