When we pick a burger from the drive-in, our thoughts are focused on filling our hunger. But there is a lot going on behind the scenes to bring that food to the table. Here is a snippet (or should I say tidBYTE) about one of the business processes that is far away from the smell of fries.
Whataburger is a regional fast food restaurant chain operating more than 700 stores in the American South and Southwest.
WhatABurger had a manual Approval workflow process to review and analyze projects, and procurements of products and services with its vendors. The process did not lend itself to monitor the approval work flow and its status. Whataburger approached Perficient to help automate this Approval process using TIBCO BPM. The automation would alert the stakeholders of the Approval Requests requiring their attention. An interface with the mobile devices would further aid in prompt action on the approvals.
The BPM Mobility Solution
Perficient’s project delivery consisted of two phased approach.
- The TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM solution automated the Approval Process workflow using Openspace and Workspace user interface. The TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM product interfaces with JD Edwards ERP and SharePoint using TIBCO ESB and Active Directory.
- The .NET Mobile Solution interfaced the WorkList application with the TIBCO BPM Web Services. This interface allowed the Requestors and Approvers to take action on their work items using a mobile device.
Perficient delivered a BPM solution to WhatABurger to lay the foundation for an automated workflow process and integrating it with mobile devices. These systems accomplished the following objectives:
- Automated order notifications by email to selected approvers reducing processing delays
- Enhanced communication to the business unit awaiting approvals of acceptance
- Enabled use of mobile devices to take prompt action on approval requests
- Provide approval process metrics and logging
- Improved Approval Process Workflow automation
Business value Delivered
This automation allows WhatABurger a much needed control over the approval process workflow, and speed the approval process procurements of products and services from its vendors, realizing time and money savings.
So next time you stop by the drive-in, think about the approval processes working behind the scenes to make that burger yummier- oh WhatABurger! WhatAProcess!
This editorial image accredited to: Philip Lange / Shutterstock.com