Application Modernization Industry Quick Guides
Application modernization enables you to optimize business processes and transform the way you do business today, and in the future. Our industry experts have collected the latest application modernization trends impacting the automotive, financial services, healthcare, and manufacturing verticals.
In one of my earlier blog posts, I showed how term sets can be translated manually using XLIFF files. This post will step through the process of setting up machine translations for a term set.
1. Go to Central Administration and create a SharePoint Translation Service application if it’s not already setup.
2. Once the service application is setup successfully, go to System Settings –> Manage Services on Server.
3. Select the Application server that you want to run the translation service and start the SharePoint Translation Service.
4. At this point the translation service is all set to go.
To translate a term set:
1. Go to the Managed Metadata service application.
2. Select a term store
3. In the Working Languages section, select the languages that you need the terms translated in.
4. Hit Save.
5. Select the term set that you want to translate.
6. Select the Translation tab on the far right.
Note: You only see the “Translation” tab if you have selected the languages you want the term store in Step 3.
7. Select Machine Translate click on “Continue” and then select the language you want to translate the term set to.
8. In this example, I selected the German language. Click Continue.
9. You will now see a progress/status screen after which the terms will be translated if the system has access to the internet.
10. This is all that is needed to translate a term set. To see the translation, select the language from the drop down in the top left corner.
The results are shown below side-by-side for comparison:
I am not sure how good the translations are but it’s a good starting point.