Gartner has just released mobile device sales statistics for 2010 which just further confirm the importance of having a mobile strategy for portal, social, and collaborative solutions.
The full article is here, but some key statistics are as follows:
- 1.6 billion units sold in 2010
- Smartphone sales grew 72%
- Nokia still has a stranglehold on the global market with a 28.9% market share but they lost 7.5% over 2009
- While but they are dominant in the United States, Apple only has a 2.9% global market share
- Android operating system based market share grew from 3.9% to 22.7% in 2010