The healthcare IT field is rapidly developing and changing. Emerging technology and updated regulations put pressure on healthcare providers and health plans to stay ahead of the curve. Perficient creates a monthly list that explores some of the current topics and issues in health IT. This list examines the most talked about issues and technologies that are currently affecting the industry.
Consolidation and Mergers
Healthcare entities, both payers and providers, have been making an increased effort to capture market share and dominate their geography. Smaller players are being picked up by larger players, consolidating physician practices and health plans. These mergers have driven digital strategy projects and paperless environments, with an increased interest in advertising and public facing websites to try to attract market share.
- Changes in Hospital Finance Drives Flurry of Mergers
- Partners-South Shore merger review grows
- Cadence Health plans to merge with Rockford Health System
- Blue Cross of NEPA, Highmark exploring ‘stronger’ partnership
- Area hospitals promise transparent merger
Extending Your EMR
Healthcare professionals have been very vocal about the challenges that come along with electronic medical record systems. The workflow in many EMR systems was created by a programmer and works the way it was programmed, not the way healthcare professionals work. Several technology tools were made to extend or approve upon EMRs without ripping the code apart, often by putting it into a browser or allowing it to be mobile.
- EHRs can’t do everything
- 9 Reasons Doctors Hate Their EMR
- Docs blame EHRs for lost productivity
- So much data-gathering, so little doctoring
- How connected is EHR user satisfaction to vendor choice?